Friday, February 5, 2010

My 1920's Hartmann Cushion-Top Wardrobe Trunk

I found this great trunk at D.I. about a year ago. I had been looking for one for some time just to use as decoration of course. This was a great buy at $30 bucks. It was locked and no key but we could hear stuff rattling around in it and I was anxious to see the inside. So fast forward a year and Bring in Kevin: "Hey do you want me to open that for you?" Me: " Aaaa YA!" Kevin: "I can just cut the lock for you." Me: "Sweet!" So when they came to do my tile we also did a little locksmithing, Sorensen style......The original stickers are still on it so I was able to look it up on the Internet and know what the inside would have looked like, but what did MINE look like and what was all the stuff rolling around in there?

Kevin does some investigating...where is the best place to cut?

Lets get to work.....the sparks were flying and we held our breath...treasure maybe?
Ahhh, just hangers and and ugly candle holder.



So cool Look, it still had some of the original hangers but all the drawers that would have been on the right are missing. There is a little water damage on the bottom but over all pretty nice for being nearly 100 years old. Thanks for another great adventure Kevin and Ashley.






7 comments:

Speer Family said...

That's cool you finally got in there. What a let down though just to find some old hangers.:)

xr440dude said...

That's a great trunk. The ones with all the hardware still inside and the flip top are hard to come by these days. You got an awesome deal!

Sorry there wasn't better treasure, though. We knew someone who bought a dresser filled with old purses from a storage unit auction. While they were cleaning up the purses to put them on eBay they found a antique diamond ring worth $60,000!!

Tricky Trix said...

What an awesome adventure! Love it!

Annie and Family said...

I was totally just thinking about you and that trunk TODAY! That is so funny because I just thought, "I wonder if she ever got that open?" I miss mine! I was a total nerd to sell it! Oh, I love your "new" kitchen! When are you not doing fun projects??? I got brave yesterday and I can't wait to show you what I did! I wish we could talk you into visiting us again. That was so much fun last time.

The Tiffany's said...

You must have a really fancy DI! I've never seen anything remotely that cool at a thrift store!!

Melly said...

hi

Melly said...

hi